Our Political Law practice is the largest, most experienced practice of its kind in the nation. Spanning the country, our attorneys have extensive experience in the political arena. Several have held senior positions in the executive and legislative branches. Collectively, they have provided advice and counsel to hundreds of candidates for elective office (including seven presidential campaigns), scores of nonprofit and ideological groups and dozens of corporations and businesses. Supporting the attorneys is a team of experienced compliance specialists who help political organizations and committees comply with various state and federal filing requirements.
We provide a diverse group of individuals, trade associations, corporations, nonprofits, political parties and candidates experienced legal and compliance services, including:
- Advising on federal and state campaign finance law and regulation, including candidate committee and PAC compliance;
- Counseling on lobbying disclosure and governmental ethics statutes and rules at the federal, state and local levels;
- Designing and implementing internal compliance and training programs to ensure compliance with campaign finance, lobbying and ethics laws and rules;
- Representing clients called to testify before Congress;
- Advising tax-exempt organizations on compliance with rules governing section 501(c) and 527 organizations;
- Litigating in federal and state courts matters relating to political activity and expression;
- Providing representation in public corruption and criminal campaign finance investigations;
- Defending enforcement actions brought by the Federal Election Commission and its state equivalents;
- Providing representation before other administrative agencies such as the Federal Communications Commission and the Internal Revenue Service;
- Representing clients in recounts and contested elections;
- Advising clients regarding redistricting matters, including conducting litigation; and
- Counseling ballot measure committees.